Health and Fitness
7 Ways to Improve Your Health & Wellbeing
Taking steps to improve your health and wellbeing will improve your quality of life dramatically. It’s never too late to improve your health and there are so many things you can implement into your lifestyle that will give you great results.
- Meditate: Many people underestimate the benefits that regular meditation will have on their health and wellbeing. The benefits of regular meditation include reduced stress levels, better sleep, improved concentration and a general feeling of wellbeing. And medication isn’t has difficult as you might believe. There are many guided meditation CD’s and downloads available to enable you to experience the benefits of meditation immediately.
- Avoid Fad Diets: Despite their popularity, fad diets are rarely beneficial to your health. They may enable you to lose weight temporarily but following a healthy balanced diet and cutting out processed foods and junk foods is the best long term solution.
- Sunlight: Getting out in the sunlight for at least 30 minutes a day is great for your health and wellbeing. Lack of sunlight can lead to depression, seasonal affective disorder, and Vitamin D deficiency. If your lifestyle and the area that you live prevent you from getting a daily sunlight fix, consider investing in a light box.
- Sleep: Getting enough sleep is essential to your health and well-being. The average male needs 7 hours of sleep each night, the average female needs 8 hours and teenagers and young children need far more. Lack of sleep can cause poor concentration, headaches, inability to concentrate, accidents and even death.
- Exercise: Regular exercise is vital to your health and well-being. But you don’t need to join the gym or take an aerobics class. Choosing an exercise program that you enjoy is more important than anything. And a daily 20-minute walk is just as good for you as any other form of exercise.
- Listen to Music: Recent studies by scientists in Canada and Mexico have shown that listening to music you enjoy improves your health and wellbeing. This is because it increases your levels of dopamine – commonly known as the happy hormone. The studies showed that rock, classical, and jazz music had the greatest effect.
- Lose Weight: If you’re overweight, or obese you are putting your health at risk. Being overweight can lead to diseases like heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer. And according to the World Health Organisation, almost 3 million people die each year as a result of being overweight.
Whichever methods you choose to incorporate into your lifestyle to improve your health and well being, you will be glad that you did. Not only will you improve the quality of your life, you may also live longer.
"Regular Physical Exercise"
How to Fit Regular Physical Exercise in to Your Busy Schedule
We all know that regular physical exercise is crucial to our health. But it can be a challenge to fit a regular exercise program into your daily schedule. These tips should enable you to make time for regular exercise that fits in with your lifestyle.
Regular Exercise for Busy Moms
Finding the time and energy for regular exercise whey you have small children can be challenging. Try out these ideas:
If possible, walk your child to school. Even if you live quite a distance from school, you could consider parking a short distance from the school and walking your child from there. That way your child also gets used to regular physical exercise, so you grow fit and healthy together.
Children love to play with other children. So find out if there is a crèche at a nearby gym, and leave your child to have fun while you work out.
Your regular physical exercise program doesn’t have to involve long sessions in the gym. A visit to the swimming pool or the local park will give you both plenty of exercise, plus you’ll have fun.
Regular Physical Exercise for Office Workers
If you’re sitting at a desk all day, regular physical exercise is essential if you want to avoid piling on the pounds. But long working hours and commutes can make it difficult to fit in a regular exercise program.
If you’re short on time when you finish work, take a walk at lunchtime. Also, if you don’t live too far away, consider walking or cycling to work.
And think carefully about how you spend your leisure time. When you’re finished work, you may be so tired that you can’t bring yourself to even think about getting regular physical exercise. But chances are, once you begin a fitness program, you will realise that regular exercise makes you feel a lot more alert and energetic than an evening slumped in front of the TV.
Exercise for Home Workers
If you work from home, chances are you won’t want to waste your time making regular trips to the gym to get some exercise. But you can easily fit exercise into your daily program without venturing far from home.
Take a break from work and have a short walk. Or if it’s too cold and walking doesn’t appeal, consider a home fitness DVD. If you don’t feel like doing anything too strenuous in the middle of your working day, a yoga DVD may be a great choice for you. And 20 minutes spent exercising should be easy to fit into your working day. Plus you have the convenience of a shower to use once you’re done.
Whatever your lifestyle, fitting regular physical exercise into your schedule is essential to your health and well-being.